Let me show you what I have done. First, fonts:
|Applying the Ledger Font|
What this playing did was help me to really see how the chunks of code show up in the HTML view. I then jumped into trying to fix the crazy spacing of my images and their corresponding numbers. Here is a view of how they looked as I tried to space them just using the visual editor:
The font was not even set right, let alone the spacing I wanted. Here is the code I wrote and adapted:
Before I link you to my site to see this though, let me tell you about coding the three columns. In the first and second column, I controlled the spacing by simplifying the existing code to have simple
breaks (the more complex breaks turned out to be what did not match from column to column), and I changed the font and spacing of each of the numbers. In the third column, I changed the font completely by hand -- font, color, and size -- and completely messed up my spacing doing so! So, I dug into the code to see where spans were beginning and ending and saw where I needed to add additional spans. Because I have bullets in this column, the spacing code was incredibly messy. For me to be able to discern where I was losing a font choice due to a broken span was thrilling. So, now the big reveal! Here is my draft Google Site!
I hope you enjoy examining the first page. Maybe you will notice that I moved my genre icons around for a different visual order -- yep, I had to redo the spacing coding after I did that! I am still thinking through the sub-pages and what I want on them for my class. (I have found that I am moving back and forth between my second and third steps of my plan.) I have already added some things to the short story page that I had not used on our class wiki before -- the vocabulary list and master techniques list. Being able to take notes on these collaboratively will be a big help because they are the first big note-taking tasks of freshman year. To see how different people take notes when they are the class scribes will allow for excellent conversations about this important skill.
While I have much left to do on my site, I feel like I really made a breakthrough with my work because I am designing the site both with its tools and my manual coding simultaneously. Neat stuff.