Sunday, July 15, 2012

Design Principle #3: Repetition

Green Leaf
Repetition:
 "Repeat some aspect of the design 
throughout the entire piece" (51).

Repetition is my favorite aspect of design. The ways you can do this overtly or subtly are very fun for me to play with. Repetition is definitely a design aspect with room for pushing the boundaries.

Leaf Tips

"Think of repetition as being consistent, which I'm sure you do already. Then push the existing consistencies a little further ... Then take a look at the possibility of adding elements whose sole purpose is to create a repetition" (64).


Rounded Leaves
When I looked at my site with an eye for repetition, I found it is the foundation of my design.  I had chosen two main repetitive elements, and not having to revise to create repetition is why I know I love to design this way.

Leaf Roots  
My headers are my most overt repetition.  I use the same map, beginning with a wide, simple view as my static header. My following headers are all a slight zoom of same map with our themes and texts layered on top.  "[T]ake a simple element and use it in various ways - different sizes, colors, angles" (58).

Leaf Hands 

My colors are my more subtle repetition.  I coded a custom font color to match the earth of the map and a custom background color to match the water. By carrying this through each page, even as the content is built differently due to different purposes, they will be linked.


I think I once again read Williams's mind as I wondered about alignment being less flexible in my last post. "When there's an underlying sense of structure, you can be more flexible with the other elements" (63).  When I pay attention to alignment (like I did in this post by maintaining a left-alignment in the body of the post), I can be more creative with my repetition (cropping my opening leaf to create slightly varied repeating imagery).  I love this design stuff.

References
Image Source

Williams, Robin. The  Non-Designer's Design Book: Design and Typographic Principles for the Visual
          Novice.
Third ed. Berkeley, CA: Peachpit Press, 2008. Print. 

No comments:

Post a Comment