Today is kick-off day ... the Great Summer 2012 Independent Study has begun! My kids are at a camp each morning this week, my early morning run is done, and here I sit ready to work. My type-A, organized self jumped right into the pool waters of work by ... making a plan for my work! (I can see my good friend and fellow planner Jennifer nodding her head and laughing ...) So, here is my plan ...
Reading and Reflecting: Read four new media texts and reflect here about each of them (I actually have already started this -- see my first book reflection). I have ordered the texts I am considering from ODU's wonderful inter-library loan, so I will finalize my choices when the books arrive.
Production: Create my own website that represents me professionally and as a scholar and brings together the different sites I create and use with my teaching. Here is what I need to do ...
- Finalize my multimodal assignment on my Google Site for my Introduction to Genres class
- Create my Wordpress.org site for my AP English class
- Learn how to use BuddyPress and set up my class discussions
- Create an Othello page to house the acting assignment, including the introductory video I made at DMAC
- Apply Susan Delagrange's rhetorical theory of wonder to this site by ...
- Creating custom rotating header images so the site has a randomness that generates curiosity
- Link resources within these custom images to create a chance for students to navigate on their own pathways and direct their own learning
- Think about how to make the overall design less print-layout driven
- Think about how to add "cognitive weight" to my links
- Set up the overall skeleton structure of the site so that I can add to it with my students so they can be co-creators of our online classroom
Image sources:"Beach Reading"
"Another Sand Castle"